Elisa DiChristina, MSW, LCSW has an array of clinical experiences, which includes psychiatric emergency services, inpatient settings, ranging from ICU to emergency departments, as well as oncology and infectious disease (HIV). She consulted to New Jersey Division of Children Protection and Permanency, taught as an adjunct professor and worked as a psychotherapist. She has worked in numerous settings and systems, such as children’s residential facilities, a juvenile detention center, group homes for adolescents, police departments and jails. She was credentialed as a NJ Mental Health Screener, NJ Court Appointed Parent Coordinator and NJ Certified Divorce Mediator. Elisa became motivated to make a difference in the lives of children and adolescents, particularly while completing suicidal and homicidal threat assessments of minors.
Elisa was inspired to advocate for children and create proactive, preventative and educational solutions after gaining knowledge and experience as a mental health clinician assisting children and families on the diagnostic and treatment side of the equation. Thus, the first of its’ kind, this uniquely designed strength based Are You A Glow Kid? Storybook Educational Program comprehensively addresses modern day circumstances to provide many of the childhood skills needed for life health and well-being.
RyAnn illustrated the pictures between ages 16 and 17 years old.
What does it mean to be an illustrator?
I believe anyone can draw. You will become a great artist if you put time and effort into drawing. Others don’t know about this hidden talent. I didn’t know about it until I was maybe around the age group for this book. I have Aspersers Syndrome and, of course, I was teased and bullied. It was hard for me to fit in because every time I did something I liked others would laugh and make fun of me. So, I didn’t say anything. I kept everything inside of my mind and in my hands. This led to one of my teachers coming up to me when I was doodling and saying, “Wow! That’s really good!” I felt really good about myself. I thought, this is what I can do and other people will like it. I like to show meaning through my art work. I can make the viewer feel happy, sad or even angry. I mostly enjoy making others happy and feel good about themselves. I don’t want others to waste their days sad and alone like I was. I want to show them, that it’s OK to be who you are and not be afraid to show it.
Taking a bold move towards empowering pre-school & elementary children, the Are You A Glow Kid? Storybook Educational Program is a first of its’ kind to provide this unique psycho-social-emotional development program for optimal childhood well-being in the context of modern day circumstances. Glowy, the main character, takes the reader on a compassionate imperfect storybook journey to empower children to develop glowing life skills, insights and character development while learning to appreciate individuality, develop a healthy self-concept and life perspective.
This two-part preventative solution based program guides educators, child care providers and parents alike, through a comprehensive educational guide complete with lesson plans to accompany each picture story book page. Are You A Glow Kid? Storybook Educational Program encourages children to stay true to their glow by having the courage and self-freedom to be the best version of who they are, particularly when coping with adversity. We implore children to pass the glow forward among their peers to create a harmonious youthful generation of leaders.
- Aligns with Search Institutes building blocks of healthy development & 40 developmental assets.
• Accentuates internal and external assets by providing a concise & concrete framework
- Increases the well-being of youth while utilizes best teaching practices
- Enhances character development programs
- Reinforces Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying Standards & anti-bully campaigns
- Emphasizes QSAC NJ Professional Development Requirements in Statute & Regulations for:
• Prevention: Suicide, Substance Abuse, Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying
• School Safety, Security, & Code of Student Conduct
• Additional Professional Development Topics
- Supports NJ Core Curriculum Content Standards
• 21st Century Life & Careers
• Comprehensive Health & Physical Education
• Social Studies
• Visual & Performing Arts
• World Languages
- Strengthens the US Department Of Health & Human Services Goal To Heighten Emotional, Psychological & Social Well-Being In Youth Development & The Surgeon General Priority Of National Recommendation Prevention Strategies In Developing Positive Mental & Emotional Well-Being
- Develops The Center For Disease Control Concepts & Recommendations for
• Health Related Quality Of Life Well-Being
• Mental Health Development & Basics
• Youth Violence Prevention